Languages: EnglishGerman
// Projects // INNOVATION AND TRADITION – Hinrich Brunsberg and late gothic brick architecture in Pomerania and Brandenburg.

INNOVATION AND TRADITION – Hinrich Brunsberg and late gothic brick architecture in Pomerania and Brandenburg.

Europe: Exchange and Movement Deutsches Kulturforum östliches Europa

Hinrich Brunsberg (c.1350 to c.1428) is one of the most significant medieval builders in the Southern Baltic region and in the field of brick-built architecture he is one of the few known by name, alongside the Parlers. Buildings associated with his name erected around 1400 are to be found especially in Pomerania and the Margraviate of Brandenburg and are part of the flourishing of the late gothic style in that region. The exhibition will show examples of churches, town halls and city gates in Pomerania, Brandenburg and Neumark which are typical of Brunsberg’s structural design, involving elaborate and decorative ornamental architecture, such as was closely associated with the contemporary building forms and use of space prevalent at the time. In addition it will make a presentation of the exchange/transfer of construction and artistic techniques in Pomerania and Brandenburg around 1400.
An inscription in the North Chapel of St Katharine’s Church in Brandenburg says that Master Hinrich Brunsberg of Stettin erected the church in 1401. This inscription marks the first time that his name was linked to a characteristic style of architecture. Little is known about the life of Hinrich Brunsberg. The first evidence of his characteristic décor of elaborate stone-carved profiles, delicate tracery fillings and decorative pediments can be found in the choir of St Mary’s Church in Stargard/Szcecinski in Pomerania, completed in 1380. Buildings of a comparable design can be found in Stettin/Szczecin, Königsberg in Neumark/Choina, Prenzlau, Gartz and Tangermünde.
But Hinrich Brunsberg was not the only one involved in these building works. In Brandenburg in 1411 there is evidence of the master builder Nikolaus Craft from Stettin, and in 1412 in Prenzlau of Claus Brunsberg, also from Stettin and almost certainly related to Hinrich. The indications are that they were responsible for developing new, modern technologies as well as for the characteristic décor. It is clear that Brunsberg worked closely with several highly qualified building experts. The richly crafted brick architecture of Hinrich Brunsberg can be understood as an alternative concept to the functional and simple architecture of the North German Hanseatic towns.
The overall concept and the text are the work of the building historian Dirk Schumann M.A, and the present-day photographs of the buildings were produced by the Berlin photographer Thomas Voßbeck

Format: Exhibition (in two languages: German – Polish)

Project Sponsor
German Culture Forum for Eastern Europe
Contact person
German Culture Forum for Eastern Europe
Dr Claudia Tutsch
Berliner Str. 135
14467 Potsdam
Tel: +49 (0)331 200 98-14
tutsch@kulturforum.info

Co-operating partners
National Museum in Stettin
Archdiocese Stettin-Cammin
Pomeranian State Museum, Greifswald

Related projects